Join us in this fireside chat format session with Dogu Taskiran, CEO of Stambol and Orderinbox, as he explains the Metaverse to the Vancouver DAMA community. You will learn how metaverse technology IS GOING TO ROCK YOUR WORLD and how to be ready for it!
Dogu is an accomplished, enthusiastic, hands-on entrepreneurial technology leader with 20 years of experience in software development, team creation and management, product and general management in organizations of varying sizes. He's excited to share his broad and deep metaverse knowledge with us!
Abstract: Mapping the Metaverse to a Data-Centric Perspective
- "Fireside chat" about metaverse and decentralized economies where Dogu will answer questions like:
- What is a metaverse? And why should people care? Especially in the data community in Vancouver?
- How are they built? Does every metaverse have a coin (cryptocurrency)? You have said that Metaverse is just a set of protocols that enables spatial things to interact. That seems very abstract - how does it work?
- Where might the coming metaverses interact the real world? How will this affect my career and life?
- Data, Process, Financial Transactions, Gamification, Registries?
- How is data stored in the metaverse?
- What are Non-Fungible Tokens?
- An NFT is a non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a blockchain, a form of digital ledger, that can be sold and traded.
- “The emergence of non-fungible tokens allows us to envision the prospect of mapping the entire real world.”
- Is this really a Ponzi scheme or comparable to the Dutch Tulipmania of the 1630s?
- What is a DAO - Decentralized Autonomous Organization? And how is that starting to affect governance processes? Are these autonomous entities already starting to make decisions? Will they have bank accounts?
- Metaverse has been described as "stepping into the Internet". When will this immersive experience be available to everybody?
- Are people making their living there now? What types of jobs are beginning to appear? What career paths might be evolving to the metaverse in the future?
- Et cetera, insert your question here!
Biography: Dogu Taskiran
Clipped from Dogu's Twitter profile:
Building the #metaverse, one major piece of technology at a time. Orderinbox, StambolStudios, Polymath. #Web3 #VR #AR #NFTs.
Ex-@Microsoft, Ex-@Ubisoft, Ex-EA
More details in this interview @ thedeeptechinsider.com
Post event information and contacts will be linked here after the event:
- Recording (if virtual event)
- Contact for follow up questions
Upcoming DAMA-Vancouver Events - Mark Your Calendars:
- 2022.05.27 Analytics for Everyone: Essential Tips for Analytics Adoption SAS (Virtual)
- 2022.06.24 Cloud Platforms - Snowflake (Live* or Virtual?)
- Summer Break
- 2022.09.23 UBC's Data Governance Journey (Live*)
- 2022.10.28 Hands on Data Governance Alation (Live*)
- 2022.11.25 Data Mesh - Benefits and Challenges (Live*)
* Live means we can finally schedule our meetings face-to-face at Deloitte's Learning Centre (new building in downtown Vancouver)
Thanks to our sponsor:
Other Data Events around the world
- 2022.04.23 & 24 Earth Day Datathon
- City of New Westminster & Data for Good Vancouver
You are invited to join Data for Good Vancouver and the City of New Westminster for a VIRTUAL Earth Day weekend datathon. This event will start at 9am PST on April 23rd (kick off event) and will end with presentations from 4-5pm PST on April 24th.
In this datathon, you will analyze the electricity usage of residents and businesses over time to help the City better understand trends and what factors are associated with electrical consumption. As we move towards greater building electrification, this analysis will be invaluable in drawing a comprehensive picture of the current state and help to inform the City’s future planning to reduce GHG emissions.
Utilizing a variety of open and proprietary data sets, such as building attributes, weather and census information, we will perform exploratory data analysis and use data science to provide valuable insights and try to answer a series of questions. Through this work we also hope to find ways to educate residents and businesses about their relative consumption.
As the oldest city in western Canada, New Westminster has a long and rich history. It is also unique in that it owns its own electrical utility. The City has declared a climate emergency and announced Bold Steps for Climate Action with the goal of moving New Westminster towards a zero carbon future by 2030. Please join us to use your skills and help the City make progress towards its goal!
Registration for the event can be found here